Monday, October 26, 2015

All you have to do is watch


Bayne and Osborne weren't all smiles at the end of the race

I didn't do a race recap this week, only because the finish is what matters this week.

Trevor Bayne finished 21st, however, he should have recorded a top-10 if it were not for a move by Kevin Harvick to take him out of the race and cause the big mess at the end of the race.  All you have to do is watch the video that NBC provided on their website and you can see Harvick turning the steering wheel right when Trevor Bayne went to make the pass around him on the outside.

Sunday was looking like one of Trevor Bayne's strongest races of the season.  He had been able to come from the back to the front on several occasions.  On the final restart, Bayne lined up 9th and the 4 team asked the 6 if they would push them.  Bayne's crew chief Bob Osborne responded " F -(Expletive) No we're not going to push them with a bad motor."

On the Restart, Bayne went to the outside to get around Harvick and as you can see in the video
 footage that Harvick turned right caused the huge wreck by turning Bayne.  To the right is a transcript of the radio conversation between Harvick's crew chief Rodney Childress, the spotter and Harvick.

It appears that they were looking for a caution flag and Harvick wanted Bayne to push him.  However, Bob Osborne would have nothing of it on the 6 team channel.

The restart before, Harvick went to the high side and let the rest of the field go by, but it appeared on this one that he wasn't going to let them go. His remarks at the end of the race were very interesting.

"I wasn't running really well on the restarts." Harvick said. "Then at the end I was trying to get out of the way.  I don't know if I clipped the 6 of if he came across as I was coming up.  It was one of those days where everything went well until the very end until bottom fell out on those last couple of restarts when it cooled off. It has a broken exhaust pipe or something."

Bayne had a much different theory on the incident.

"That's a crappy way for Harvick to have to get in the Chase is to wreck somebody - what I believe to be on purpose - maybe it wasn't.  The restart before that he had the engine problems and got out of the way.  I think he realized if the caution came out he was gonna be fine, so so I go by and I get hooked in the left-rear.  Harvick is a really good driver.  I think he he knows the limits of his car and where it's at, so that's why I think it was intentional.  To me, we had a really good AdvoCare Ford Fusion.  I ran really good all day, was able to work my way toward the front.  I felt like we had a top-10 run, no doubt, and then you finish like that it ticks you off a little bit."

No comments: