Saturday, May 21, 2016

Bayne powers his way passed Elliott on final lap to make Sprint All Star Race

Trevor Bayne took a little open hole on a restart and made it into a wide open entrance into the Sprint All-Star Race on Saturday morning in the NASCAR Sprint Show Down in Charlotte. 

Bayne started the race fifth by rule book standards due to the rain cancelling qualifying for the Sprint Show Down.  He told crew chief Matt Puccia and Spotter Roman Pemberton "Alright guys. Today is about fun and winning -- which is more fun. Let's go get it.".  It didn't look as if he'd have a chance early in the first segment to advance into the main event until a caution flag came out when the No. 95 of Michael McDowell spun on the track. 

Bayne's crew chief Matt Puccia decided to keep him on the track and restart in fourth position on the outside lane behind fellow Ford Performance driver Ryan Blaney.  Blaney was called for jumping the restart but that didn't stop Trevor Bayne from having one of his best restarts ever and making it three-wide through the middle and getting around Chase Elliott for the lead.  He and Elliott ran side by side to the stripe where Bayne beat Elliott by 0.005 thousands of a second. 

"That was pretty cool," said Bayne afterwards.  "That takes me back to Texas in 2011 in the XFINITY race when I restarted fourth and pushed Carl out before winning the race.  I was thinking about what I could do and I timed the restart really good there.  In clear air I was alright.  I was a little concerned with dirty air, but I got a run and I went down through the middle.  It was a little sketchy squeezing through that hole but it worked."

No comments: